homeIf you would like to comment on anything, and I wish you would. Please click on the little penc

Friday 6 July 2012

I join in the fun



I don’t like to brag, but it’s true to say that my standing in the community rubs off on those close to me. Take Linda, for example. She is President of a thriving local women’s group, FiFi — check it out (www.fifi82.org). Although the group is successful, it hasn’t got everything quite right. For one thing, I’m not allowed to join because I’m male. David and I sometimes feel quite left out.

Anyway, Linda occasionally sneaks me into meetings  — don’t tell David or he’ll expect her to do the same for him. I think she feels more confident if I’m with her and it’s nice for the other ladies to meet me.

A couple of days ago, there was a coffee morning locally. A lot of nice ladies came along and we were all happily sitting outside drinking our coffee and eating some lovely cake. Then it started to pour with rain. Some less hardy souls like Linda scurried indoors, but others of us are made of sterner stuff and we simply moved into the garage. We must have been on a bit of a slope as water started to pour in. I had to rescue Jean’s handbag several time. She was very grateful.

I think sometimes they forget I’m there. They started talking about a book that someone described as “raunchy”. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but I got the impression that Linda won’t be reading me extracts at bedtime. (I thought it was a book about art as they mentioned “shades” and “grey”.)

Later, I took part in Linda’s drama group. That was good fun, although the humans did look a bit silly pretending to be other people. I tried to interest them in a bit of improvisation using my toys, but they didn’t want to play. I decided to be Lassie, but no one noticed, so I had a little nap as I was worn out from running with Ferney earlier. I dreamt that everyone was applauding me. When I woke up, I think they actually were. I might ask Linda if Ferney can come to the drama group too — we can show them how it’s really done.

Here’s a photo of me playing with Ferney. Now you’ll probably understand why I need the occasional nap.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Rupert,

    My name is Robbie and I live in Atlanta. If I say so myself, I'm a somewhat cute and loving and the best looking Shetland Sheepdog there ever was. Actually, I don't say so, my parents do. At least my master does: he is from Scotland, so we have a lot in common, and I understand him perfectly, although I have to tilt my head and listen carefully when he goes into the Glaswegian accent. My mistress is a yank, so she can't speak Scottish.

    Anyway, I digress. I want to add my tuppence worth to the subject of cats. I was catgrated not too long ago and did not like it one bit. My bark is higher, and it does not feel as good when I lick myself. So I say "dogs of the world unite." This "ethnic cleansing" thing they talk about is abominable for people, but it could help us out if tried on cats. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Robbie
    It’s nice to hear from you. You sound like my sort of dog. The problem with cats is that they have so many human followers who might be upset if there were none of the wretched little creatures around. Would you believe that even some of my human friends keep a cat or two in their homes? I might add too that several of these humans are, like one of yours, Scottish. (I can’t understand what they say either. I just nod my head wisely and generally take a little nap when they are speaking.) I think we will just have to rise above these cats and show them who’s boss. I’m going to practice my growl for next time I meet Kandy. Grrrrrrwl…

    I share your pain over the catgration. It’s a catastrophe.

    I hope you have a cat-free day and will write to me again.
    Lots of barks, Rupert

    ReplyDelete

Sorry that I've had to add the verification box, but I've started getting a lot of 'spam' comments & this is how I can stop them.
Thanks for your ynderstanding. Rupert.