homeIf you would like to comment on anything, and I wish you would. Please click on the little penc

Thursday 5 July 2012

Why I don't like cats


In a recent comment, one of my followers said she thought I was a bit hard on Kandy the cat. Maybe so, but let me explain why I’m not at all keen on felines.

My dislike stems from when I was about six months old. I had just settled into life in France when my very existence was threatened. It happened this way:

One day Linda spotted a sick cat in our field. It was a Siamese version. David gently placed it into a box and took it to a vet in Villefranche, about 40 minutes away, because my vet friend Huguette, who lives nearby, was away at the time. I’ll tell you more about her at a later date. The vet said the cat was dehydrated and starving. They gave him a number of injections, intravenous fluids and kept him in hospital for three days. The speculation was that he’d been chasing lady cats, but had been beaten up by the competition. Served him right if you ask me.

Linda and David brought him home, having paid €350 for his care, and began nursing him back to health. I was friendly enough to him, but he didn’t seem to want to be friends with me.

He became very jealous of me. He didn’t want me anywhere near Linda. If I came close he’d hiss, extend his claws and strike at me; all for no reason. I had to walk a long way around him to prevent being attacked. This was terrible; I’m very good natured, but enough is enough.

By now cat was fully recovered and with Linda’s care and brushing, he was looking very good. But Linda and David decided he had to go since he wouldn’t act in a civilized manner. They took a photograph of him and put it in the window of the local shop, offering him to anyone who would give him a good home.

We started getting calls. (Well, he was pretty and butter wouldn’t melt in his mouth when he wanted something.) Around this time Linda took him outside with her. He climbed a tree and looked at her as if to say: “Look at me, aren’t I just the bee’s knees and what every lady cat wants!” With that he jumped down and disappeared. Although David and Linda searched for him for three days, he was gone. For good! I didn’t join in the search.

Good riddance I say. He was the bane of my life. But now you know why I don’t trust cats.


2 comments:

  1. My boyfriend Twister does not know I am following your blog, so this is between us. I have to tell you I live with 4 cats. I can only have a quick chase in the evening when it is dusk, but by jolly can I make them run. Funny thing is through the day they come on my bed and try snuggling. I put up with it for a quiet life from my humans but I do not think you could cope, Rupert.
    By the way Rupert I am a rather fetching golden retriever and i think you would like the way I smell,' essence of cow ' behind the ears.
    Love Bonny Johnstone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonny - I must say I don't envy you having to put up with 4 cats. Yours do sound somewhat more tolerable than the one I wrote about.
    Golden retriever, wow I like golden retrievers especially those of the female persuasion. We must get together some time. As long as the your perfume cover the scent of cat we'll get along fine.
    Wooks Rupert

    ReplyDelete

Sorry that I've had to add the verification box, but I've started getting a lot of 'spam' comments & this is how I can stop them.
Thanks for your ynderstanding. Rupert.